Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Dunno what to make of 6 Moons new pay-for-review policy.

There's no two ways around it -- insisting that an manufacture pay up front in order to have a piece of gear reviewed turns the review into a piece of advertorial content. At best it undermines the appearance of editorial objectivity, at worst it actually wipes away any chance of actual editorial objectivity (what happens when the reviewer hate the piece of gear that's been submitted, but for which the manufacture has committed to pay -- do you spike the review? spike the ad? for example). Having spent more than 20 years in journalism -- in many different media, including Internet publishing, and many different roles from reporter to editor to publisher -- I'm sympathetic to the financial challenges of the Internet age and the inherit challenges in specialty interest publishing. But you might as well go full retail -- start a store or partner with an online store and have the content just support sales and make your money from selling equipment. Nothing wrong with that either -- it's retail, not journalism, but the content can still be valuable to readers, we'll all know what it is, and it'll probably be more lucrative than trying to drum up advertising per review, or winding up only reviewing equipment from the handful of manufacturers willing to pay instead of making decisions about what to review based on the worthiness of reviewing that piece of gear.
Jason Chervokas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dunno what to make of 6 Moons new pay-for-review policy. - chervokas 13:24:42 07/22/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.