Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Sorry, That Was Another Pathetic Attempt At A Joke By POLLYinFLA

Hello Kerr,

You addressed a good question when you responded to: If the live music is amplified it has very little value as a reference. With: Except how would you then have any idea if your system was properly capturing Herb Ellis' plugged in Gibson ES-175 (or a host of other electric jazz guitarists) or Chick Corea's electric Fender Rhodes piano? Or Steve Swallow's electric bass? These guys are jazz performers. Sometimes you just gotta plug in!

The reasoning behind this is actually quite simples. We use live unamplified music as our "Reference Standard" because it doesn't allow for additional components & wires to add their own distinct signature sound. So we use a variety of instruments & voices which have their own unique natural unamplified sonic characteristics. Typically I like to start with a piano, because it covers such a wide frequency range. Then I go for what I call "plucked" strings via listening to acoustic guitars, banjos, mandolins & stand up bass. This allows me to hear a fairly wide frequency range from the low bass to the high notes of a mandolin. Plus I get to hear the different harmonics of a guitar, mandolin & banjo. I also like to hear bowed strings via stand up bass, cello & violins as well. Next I go to brass with trumpets, saxes, trompones flutes. I don't know why but that's also when I listen to harmonicas. After that it's male & female voices from bass to sopranos. If we can get these to sound as close as we possibly can to what those instruments & vocals sound like, then we can rest assured that amplified music will be replicated as faithfully as possible!

So yes Kerr sometimes you just gotta plug in to hear Chick Corea's electric Fender Rhodes piano? Or Steve Swallow's electric bass? However to hear these outstanding jazz performers sound the best they can in our homes, you and I need to get the live unamplified sound correct first. Once you've/we've done that everything else just falls into place...

Thetubeguy1954

Now if you're referring to heavy metal or rap or something, I would agree. But electricity alone does not mean the music cannot be used as a reference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.