Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Not necessarily, rather just that whatever the chosen (state of the art?) methods are imperfect..

Right now electronic state of the art is these active devices which have these nonidealnesses built in, ie tubes/transistors. Unfortunately I don't believe there is a such thing as an passive electronic gain stage (don't know of any in any other physcs disciplines either). I have not researched the possibility of using some other class of gain stage and so can't say if the electrical approach is best but one might guess that for example a hydraulic gain stage would have tradeoffs of its own. It is an interesting line of questioning...Whether or not our audio system designers have indeed isoated and implemented the "best" approach that technology allows.

My post was not intended to imply anything other than what I believe is the answer to the original posters question. Although you could say that in general I believe when active stages can be avoided in favor of passive stages often times this will yeild meaningful improvements in maintaining a lower distortion of the original signal.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.