Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Chip Amp Voicing Is Definitely Dominated By POLLYinFLA's Disastrous Decision!

TG54 - unlike what POLLYinFLA attempts to get people to believe here
....the irrational, mean-tempered rabid dog

Tom, you're taking this all way too seriously. Me saying something doesn't make it so. Me "insulting" your s-t-e-r-e-o is just that. Laugh it off. Why bring up all that stuff I kid you about, like your amp and temper, if you don't believe it yourself.
I'm sure most people know when I'm joking, needling or being serious here...except you.
If you recall, your "invitation" for me to visit was to demonstrate you being able to "hear" the difference between wires that measured no different, or no different enough to be audible, in a carefully uncontrolled listening test in your living room, to avoid the spotlight of doing so in a public forum, where you knew you would fail as all other audiophiles before you have. You simply wanted to avoid any such guaranteed embarrassment. I declined to participate in such an offer. I have better things to do with my time, as noted previously. You then insisted that I should at least hear the wonders of your particular low power tube amp, as if I had never heard a tube amp (or dozens) before. Ditto for your 2 way plastic cone monitor. There was simply no way I was going to travel all that way to hear something like that, which I have heard umpteen times before. It might sound a slight shade different from another little low efficiency 2 way box, like a Sonus Faber, as you yourself admit, like I have heard in various forms on a great many occasions. Again, that is not something I would travel 2 miles for, much less 80. If you actually had the RCA's functional with the TAD and Lambda units, that IS something I would travel for, even if hooked to a low power amp like yours, due to the sensitivity being high enough as not to be a major stumbling block to fidelity.
I would simply have ignored your fantasies about wires and came and heard your system, no strings attached.

TG54 - who love euphonically colored amp and sloppy coned speakers

I never once said sloppy cones, I said floppy, alluding to the cone flex and bending hysteresis common to soft cones like the SS. I offered to bring my measuring laptop over to show you this behavior...and you declined. Ditto for the so called 1st order XO without diffraction loss correction.
I never once had a problem, with *you* saying you enjoyed them. It was much more the quotes about those being the best many expert listeners had ever heard and me being invited to drive all the way over to hear that type of sound as if it is not something I could have experienced on many occasions. I won't even mention the box coloration and monopole radiation in an acoustically small room.
The RCA is not my cup of tea either, but used with the mentioned drive units, would have been at least interesting enough to warrant my attention. So lets get at least that straight.

cheers,

AJ

The threshold for disproving something is higher than the threshold for saying it, which is a recipe for the accumulation of bullshit - Softky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.