Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You jumped overboard, bud.

Hi.

I said passive linestage to drive power amps, both tube & SS, that in fact, I am doing since day one, driven by LP phonostage, & DVD-auido & CD player direct. I am still a very happy camper. No audiophile vistors who auditioned my set-up ever complained about not enough guts & juices.

I never hinted a phono cartridge or even via a phonostage with say 0.5V O/P could drive a loudspeaker direct. This is your incorrect impression.

Let me tell you a real story in line of your thinking

Years back when I was en-route back home stopping over Vacouver, Canada, I popped in probably the largest hi-end audio boutique in town.

The store manager brought me into one of the audition rooms to listen to some of the very best stuffs. What caught my eyes was a full range of large & tall colourful pair of twisted horn speaker systems with subwoofers (out of my head I forget this pretty famous brandnme). He said if speakers one day could make so highly efficient, he would like to drive direct from a CD player without any amp in between. He said who needed any amps if the source can drive the speaker direct, ideally the best sound.

He did try to drive the horn speakers direct with a high-end CD player & we could hear thinny low low sound coming out from the horn speakers !!! Of course, this was only a trial to show this audio expert's die-hard philosophy of less-deliver-better music.

I don't see why you sound sorta upset?

c-J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You jumped overboard, bud. - cheap-Jack 08:26:03 03/09/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.