Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You don't understand burden of proof.

"Pat D you always want to take the unproveable null postion. Then you demand others provide prove what they say is true. You seem to feel that others have some burden or obligation to prove what they hear to you."

Nope. You still haven't got it right, but then at this point I can only conclude you aren't interested in doing so.

The burden of proof is on the person make the claim of audible differences. For example, you so far have failed to prove you can hear the difference between your expensive Nordost cables and ordinary heavy gauge speaker wires. That's the fact. You apparently don't like it but that's the fact.

I am not making unlikely claims of audible differences. Therefore, I don't have any to prove.

As to whether anyone has an obligation to provide proof to others, well, yes, sometimes they do have an obligation. Many products are subject to strict standards. I dare say the prescription drugs you use have been subject to rigorous testing and approved by a government body.

As to how this would apply to audio, well, the FTC doesn't seem interested in claims for audio products beyond amplfiers performance and such things. But some have plausibly argued that claims for the improved audio performance of special and expensive audio interconnects and speaker cables, among other things, would technically come under the jurisdiction of the FTC as far as manufacturers and sellers are concerned.

Now, neither I nor anyone else has the time to determine whether every product on the market makes an audible difference, we all have to choose which ones to try out. One can try to do so on the basis of reliable information or not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.