Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Perhaps You're Right

Sorry,

But I've read Aczel's comments on the conditions that need to be satisfied for two different types of amplifier sound identical through the same set of speakers. I've also read his biggest blunder of all, i.e. “The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio” it is good for a laugh though... I find Aczel to be a joke! P. Aczel & J. Hirsch are twins sons of different mothers.

Although I greatly prefer CDs for their ease of usage, non pops, ticks and surface noise I don't know that I can agree that LPs are an inferior music carrier than hirez digital. You like many others here seem to believe measurements tell it all. I just cannot believe that. There's something when the ear/brain is used as the final arbitrator as to what does and doesn't sound like live unamplified music in absolute performance terms, that measurements cannot detect.

The real issue is the ear/brain combo is NEVER fooled into believing live music is recorded and recorded music is live. It seems to be quite capable in this area, so I disagree that the preference cannot be traced by performance superiority, because I disagree as to what constitutes superiority in the first place. I'll trust my ears before a mic and a piece of test equipment any day of the week. There are papers that indicate that the way the ear/brain combo hears (via masking and other traits) is a lot closer to how SETs replicates music than a solid state amp does. So if an SET replicates music in a way that closer replicates how the ear/brain combo hears it would present a more accurate reproduction of music to a given ear/brain combo. Yet at the same time to a mic and piece of test equipment the solid state amp would sound more accurate!

Sorry Hobby but mics and test equipment don't do my listening for me! My individual ear/brain combo and the psycho-acoustics invloved do. They say SETs sound more like live unamplified music than any other audio toplogy they've ever heard. No matter what belief system I started out with my present belief system has enabled me to assemble a system that provides me with an overwhelming sense of enjoyment and immersement of music that not ONE of my previous solid state based systems ever came close to doing...

You're free to use your "properly designed" solid state amps to achieve whatever levels of accuracy the mics and test equipment tells you you've achieved. Me? I'll stick to the path I'm travelling. I've discovered few if any who ever find this path ever leave it...

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Perhaps You're Right - thetubeguy1954 10:36:43 02/06/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.