Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Thanks, much to think about

My room is impossible and short of putting up a movable room divider setup like they have in large conference centers I can't see how it could ever be optimum (L-shaped with many openings).

Yes I am an analog guy and yes you are right that long before I get my hands on the software all kinds of things have been done. So yes in many ways it is silly of me to not consider a digital based crossover with EQ. Even moreso given the room problems.

I don't know the lingo well enough to understand all that you have said with regards to speaker types. At this point I am running a mid-range on an open baffle with a CD horn with compression driver for the top end (audax pr170mo and 18sound xt1086/nd1090). Bass is yet to be decided but for reasons you mentioned I'd like to try open baffle (which would also require EQing). I can live with -3db around 35 hertz and don't require flat to 20 hertz.

So as I say I have much to learn and am certainly likely to make some bad decisions along the way. Hopefully if I ask enough guys enough questions I can limit them. Of course I need to learn enough to know who's advice to pay attention to.

I guess I have gotten spoiled with the tube forums because we are more inclined to look at someone's schematic and make suggestions or even redraw it if needed. Even the commercial guys post schematics of their successful designs. Speaker guys seem to be a little more close mouthed. No doubt due to the amount of R&D time invovled.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thanks, much to think about - Russ57 08:15:36 02/06/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.