Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: "the least important one"

R57 - I am just getting into speakers. I have a lot to learn. Hindsight is 20/20 and it is now clear that I would have been better served to start with speakers.

Actually start with the room. Then decide on the speaker design

R57 - Now if I could only decide on a crossover. The thought of op amps and going digital is too much to bear. I have to reconcile that with the reality that room compensation, time aligment, phase coherence, and all of that stuff that I don't understand well enough, is most easily addressed by such technology.

I take it that you only listen to analog? Even if you do, your stored electrical signals have most likely already been passed through op amps in the recording studio. Do they all sound terrible to you? Needless to say, if you listen to stored signals on CD, you are already in the digital domain. A good place to be for the aforementioned "stuff" that can transcend your music reproduction experience from the ordinary to the extraordinary.

R57 - Perhaps you have some words of advice? I'd like to understand the pros/cons of FIR filters better.

It is better to focus on the forest first rather than the tree. I use IIR filters myself, although FIR could be in my future since I do use and prefer coincident drivers. Zero phase shift filters have their limitations as do the non zero phase approx 2nd order bandpass transducers they are applied to. Linkwitz has a nice little write up on his huge web resource (link). The entire site is like a speaker building encyclopedia. Well worth the days of reading it would take to traverse.
My advice is after determining your budget, decide based upon where your speakers can be placed in your room, what type of design to go with. Then SPL requirements vs frequency. There is no one solution. Rather, there are quite a few. I chose correlated drivers (by wavelength) controlled directivity (cd) with some rear wave spatial enhancement (Open Baffle, dipole), coupled to pressure sources (monopoles) where room modes are sparse (below 40hz). If the room is smaller or you prefer a less 3D (with lots of depth) image, then perhaps something with a high front to back rejection ratio with correlated drivers such as a horn (like Danleys Synergy) or a cardioid coaxial (like the Gradient Revolution or some ME Geithain) with dipole or cardioid (cd/ -4.8db less power)radiation throughout the modal region of the room. I prefer maintaining Directivity Index all the way down into the very low bass. You may not.

cheers,

AJ

The threshold for disproving something is higher than the threshold for saying it, which is a recipe for the accumulation of bullshit - Softky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.