Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Did you know....

>>That after JD-63 chronologocally, Chesky CD's have inverted their polarity? <<

Nope, I don't even know what JD-63 is. The only Chesky stuff I have is that test CD, and I think another sampler. I'm not sure how you would know, if there's so much controversy about whether polarity is correct or not. A polarity switch light on a DAC?

>>One recording that I use, simply because it was highly recommended by The Absolute Sound is the Holly Cole Trio CD: Don't Smoke in Bed. Good test as it is a trio and not overly complex. The voice and bass are inverted relative to the piano. Now, it is interesting because TAS went on to recommend that listeners purchase the Canadian version because it had superior sonics. The Canadian version had the relative polarities reversed, and thus the piano is out of phase and the voice and bass are correct. <<

I don't get how the CDN version has its polarities reversed. Their pressing may be different, but assuming they are using the same master tape, isn't the order of polarity locked into the recording?

>>Of course, CJ's retort would be 'how do you know, there are no standards for polarity with a CD, etc., etc.' Of interest here is the relative polarity of the instruments in respect to each other. We have a basis for determining which is 'correct'. <<

Which is...?

>>Seems to me an understanding of the issue would be far easier than to go searching for a Canadian pressing, spending the time and extra shipping to obtain essentially the identical sound if you just flipped your speaker leads.<<

Of course. But I can see where it can get complicated if "some" instruments have reverse polarity, relative to others on the same track(s), and pressings from some countries have inverse polarity, relative to pressings from other countries. And then you have take time to argue about which pressing is the "correct" polarity, when both contain multiple reversed polarities.

>>Now, these are examples I have posted in the past. They are nothing new. Some have confirmed my observations, and I have yet to hear dissenting views on these two observations. In my stating such observations, I am opening myself to dissent and critique, but that is a good thing. It allows the listener to replicate the observations and either to confirm them or to deny them. I am confident that with any phase and time coherent speaker, the polarities will be apparent.<<

BTW, I've always agreed with your assessment elsewhere, that time is the more important measurement than amplitude, and I can wholly believe that frequency response is only popular because its easy to measure. I think there are a lot of things important to audio that are either hard to measure or can't be, and yet all the focus is on those that are easy to determine, at the expense of everything else.

"silence tells me secretly, everything..."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.