Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Hatfield vs. McCoy: The Polarity Years

>>I think you are are correct that flipping the speaker leads, or polarity switch CAN affect the sound, and that flipping the power cord CAN also.

There's no "CAN" about it, actually. It DOES, every time, at least in the case of switching wires. Whether one can hear this or not, doesn't change that fact. (The existence of an audio phenomenon is not dependent upon someone hearing it, just as a tree that falls in the forest will make a sound, even if no one is there to hear it).

>>However I believe that their only relationship is the they both may affect the sound and both may, in broad terms, be referred to as polarity. The mechanisms are quite different and the results probably aren't correlated. <<

Yeah, cj tried to drum the technical distinctions into my head, but in my head, there is only room for one definition of (conventional) polarity. It encompasses ALL ways the sound can be inverted; speaker wires, non-polarized AC cords, the original recording, etc. Because at the output (whether speakers or headphones), it all sounds the same. My head doesn't actually care whether "the mechanisms that produce the given polarity status are quite different". It appears that all reversed and normal polarity music have the same characteristics, despite the origins of their polarity status.

If you really want to comb over the specifics, there's a reason why I specified "conventional" polarity. For there is yet another type of polarity that no one talks about (er, probably because I'm the only one who knows about it...), which I like to call "advanced polarity", or "The Posey Effect" (reg. tm.). With advanced polarity, you might say the mechanism is quite different and the results probably aren't correlated (with conventional types of polarity), but that all depends on what the true workings of conventional polarity are. (Which is to say, is there a Beltist connection? I haven't explored this).

"Advanced polarity" is in fact, a Beltist effect. For unlike conventional types of polarity inversion, it has no direct connection to the signal. So an example of what I refer to as "advanced polarity" is say, the flipping of a non-polarized power cord. On your toaster. Or your power drill, if you prefer. Or your lamp, your Barney Snuggles (tm) psychedlic night light, your electric toothbrush recharger, or your Justin Timberlake Rappin' Sounds (tm) clock radio. In every case, the sound will 'flip' along with the flip of the plug.

(And they say conventional polarity is controversial! Ha!)

>>To equate the two is, well, mockworthy!<<

Yes, very nice. While I encourage you to popularize my term, despite the examples I gave, I don't think you've still got the gist of it. If you feel there is an example where it can be used on me, then you have not understood the term properly because by definition, it actually can not be. Sorry. :-(

"silence tells me secretly, everything..."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Hatfield vs. McCoy: The Polarity Years - Posy Rorer 22:27:48 07/31/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.