Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: I now understand the emphasis on amplitude measurements over time measurements

I believe the amplitude measirements make for better ad copy and is easier to achieve. Time domain issues are more delicate to balance. Take Sterophile's test reports, for example. A frequency response sweep is much easier to interprete than the impulse test.

A time aligned system will show one upward spike and a slowly dimishing signal following the sharp rise. Most systems show a series of spikes, some with downward (negative) movement. Not a good indicator of time alignment. Considering the microphones are set up 1 meter away and the intervals for most of Stereophiles tests cover 5 milliseconds (IIRC). Well, you can do the math. An impulse test is supposed to act on all drivers simultaneously.

Many buyers want to get 'all' of the music, meaning all the frequencies possible. There is a great desire and emphasis to have a full frequency response in any design. I find for long term satisfaction, however, timing issues are quite important if musical nuance is important to your listening. Great musicians are better because they have command of the subtleties of their voice or instrument. I can live with a speaker of limited FR is it captures the fine nuances 'better'.Of course, YMMV.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.