Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Did you know....

That after JD-63 chronologocally, Chesky CD's have inverted their polarity? They were pretty consistent before and appeared to be in 'correct' polarity. After the Kenny Rankin disc, they flip the polarity relative to previous recordings, even on their second test CD. It parallels the change of their recording equipment to George Kaye's stuff, not that I am accusing him of deliberately inverting polarity. Of course I have only checked out the discs to the first 100 titles or so, so I cant vouch for any other discs.

One recording that I use, simply because it was highly recommended by The Absolute Sound is the Holly Cole Trio CD: Don't Smoke in Bed. Good test as it is a trio and not overly complex. The voice and bass are inverted relative to the piano. Now, it is interesting because TAS went on to recommend that listeners purchase the Canadian version because it had superior sonics. The Canadian version had the relative polarities reversed, and thus the piano is out of phase and the voice and bass are correct.

Of course, CJ's retort would be 'how do you know, there are no standards for polarity with a CD, etc., etc.' Of interest here is the relative polarity of the instruments in respect to each other. We have a basis for determining which is 'correct'. Seems to me an understanding of the issue would be far easier than to go searching for a Canadian pressing, spending the time and extra shipping to obtain essentially the identical sound if you just flipped your speaker leads.

See what I mean about naming recordings? I have never seen anything similar from CJ. My high school teachers always accused me of writing of "glittering generalities" and not substantiating my statements with specific examples. I may be bad, but others can be worse and may be deliberately avoiding the issue completely.

Now, these are examples I have posted in the past. They are nothing new. Some have confirmed my observations, and I have yet to hear dissenting views on these two observations. In my stating such observations, I am opening myself to dissent and critique, but that is a good thing. It allows the listener to replicate the observations and either to confirm them or to deny them. I am confident that with any phase and time coherent speaker, the polarities will be apparent.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.