Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: "So, Clark, I ask you." And ye shall be answered.

>> "What is your explanation for the sound being improved when you destat
or demagnetise PASSIVE things in the room?" Well, that would be the elimination of static charge! As on a cable, say, where the electron (or signal) flow can/could be molested by residual charge in the insulation. Or as on a CD, where a moving (whirling) static charge can erect a magnetic field (a la Maxwell) and hammer (a la the Beatles) the coils that
drive the laser, sending them into mild conniptions unanticipated by audio designers and the Redbook people." <<<

When I talk about a PASSIVE CD or a PASSIVE cable in the room I mean a CD just passively on the table next to you or some cable just strewn passively anywhere on the floor.

My question to you was for an explanation how destating or demagnetising the passive CD (on the table next to you) or destating or demagnetising a cable (strewn passively on the floor) could affect the sound - i.e could affect the information on the (playing) CD or affect the signal travelling along the (working) cable. Your answer (re the cable) was about (signal) flow being molested by residual charge in the insulation. Surely that answer is to do with the 'working' cable - the cable carrying the signal NOT to do with the passive cable I am talking about - i.e the cable strewn passively on the floor - not carrying any signal !!
The question I asked was for you to give me your explanation as to how eliminating the static charge on a PASSIVE CD - on the table next to you - or eliminating the static charge on the outer insulation of the cable strewn passively on the floor could affect the sound of the playing CD or affect the signal travelling along the working cable or - the other alternative - affect the acoustic air pressure waves in the room.

It is when you can 'do something' such as applying a chemical to the label side of a PASSIVE CD or apply a chemical to the outer insulation of a PASSIVE cable and gain an improvement in the sound that you will be 'knocked back on your heels'. THEN you will begin to question such explanations as "eliminating the static charge". That is all I have been doing - challenging such explanations !!
In exactly the same way that the explanation that the spread of cholera was caused by the Foul air had, eventually, to be challenged when one doctor removed the handle of a communal water pump and halted the spread of cholera in that particular district - even though everyone on that district STILL breathed in the same Foul air !! With further knowledge and further experience the original explanation was no longer valid !! The Foul air was still the same as it always had been, the cholera was still the same as it always had been - only the explanation had changed !!
I appreciate that you are not denying Beltism.

You say you look at things with the eyes of an 'ex optical systems engineer' so I would presume that you would explain the effect of marking the edge of a CD with a green pen as 'somehow dealing with the way the laser beam reads the digital information on the CD - i.e refraction or reflection of the laser beam'. But, when you can mark the outer edge of a vinyl record and gain a similar and identical improvement in the sound from the vinyl record then any explanation to do with 'reflection or refraction of the laser beam' is no longer valid and has to be challenged !! Ditto audio or video cassette.

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.