Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Hand Cream and static.

Excellent post...

Are you using an external DAC on your player?

Measuring static is easy, but a little spendy. Every production department seems to have some officious fellow running around with a little handheld electrostatic meter showing me how charged up my pocket protector is. I just fend them off with my slide rule. Just checked and they seem to start at ~$250. The meter that is, officious fellows are extra.

I'd like to add a speculation to the pile: Part of the effect may be due to altering the mechanical damping of the disk. Just did a little informal experiment, I took a CD stuck my finger in it, and tapped it with my finger nail. Rings like a fiend, you can hear and feel the vibs for a good 5 seconds. Then I smeared some lotion on it, wiped off the "excess". I think it lowered the Q somewhat especially of the higher frequency modes. Still rang though. I repeated the test a couple of times washing off the lotion. Messy. This notion goes along well with your comment that truing the edges helps.

I think the best way to improve CD playback is to stop doing it. Trying to extract data in real-time from a shaking disk without affecting the conversion is bad karma. The litany of tweaks for CD players attests to serious systemic problems, many of which are completely eliminated by ripping the data.

I couldn't listen to the data on the disk because it was actually an old Altera catalog. I've had enough problems with the very thin coating of white grease I use on the slides of one of my players migrating onto disks and into other players that I wouldn't consider playing a disk coated with lotion anyway. I can just imagine it flying off like a lawn sprinkler!

One of these days I'll goop it up again and thumb tack it up in my equipment closet. I doubt it will do anything, but at least it would be tidy...

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.