Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

re: initial post

My take is pretty simple:

1. Measurements are essential to design any gear.

2. Measurements can *sometimes* explain a hard-to-pin-down sonic anomaly, like the interaction of an amplifier with a speaker's impedance curve, or with highly capacitive wire.

3. You can't measure a Stradivarius to the point where you can identify the individual instrument from its measurements, but you can you can do that with your ears in an instant, even if you're hearing it through a telephone.

4. All recordings go through a long chain of gear, and are tracked, mixed, and mastered by engineers with hugely varied experience, habits, and personal taste. This item vastly overshadows what goes on in our repro systems at home.

Measurements are very useful, but have limitations, especially if you are trying to predict how real a recording will sound - the numbers are rarely helpful in this, until they get to extremes, such as extremely high measurable distortion, or extremely little dynamic range (too much compression.) We don't have a "number" standard for that one, but you can sure see it in your DAW of choice. Like the Stradivarius, the absence of a measurement standard does not mean "it" doesn't exist.

When standard measurements do exist, use them to help you. I knew the Manley 120 monoblocks had a pretty high output impedance, which would likely be audible when they were paired with my Spica TC-50s, but I also knew I was chopping everything below 80Hz pretty sharply to pass to a subwoofer, so it should have been tolerable. It was, and is.

Use measurements to inform your choices, and confirm everything with your ears.

My personal measurable pass/fail test is being able to come home from a concert, recital, or opera in a great hall (or a rock band in a good space with good front-of-house engineers), put on a record, and not throw up.

WW

"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.