Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Determining system accuracy

Nice of to address the topic of accuracy. Here's 3, IMO, reasonable methods for equipment buyers wishing to determining system accuracy.

One could conclude whatever component/system that meets some measurement standard is the most accurate. I'm sure there will be plenty of argument over which standard should be applied.

Or one could conclude whatever system (or component within that system) allows the most realistic/live sounding reproduction of recordings to be the most accurate. I'm sure there could be plenty of argument/disagreement over what recordings best reveal a systems performance.

Or one could conclude whatever system/component allows the greatest musical enjoyment over the widest diversity of music and quality of recordings to be the most accurate. Of course the accuracy of the system selected will be as accurate as the diversity of recordings AND one's definition of musical enjoyment allows.

Regardless of which methodology one chose to employ the cost of the system should be first and foremost a function of volume, bass extension and frequency accuracy in the playback environment if sound per dollar is important. Depending on application, even sound per dollar systems can be outrageously expensive based upon these objective measures.

But not everyone cares about sound per dollar and yea sure snake oil products exist and are enjoyed by many but certainly not most audiophiles.

Why do so many seem to think it's so important to argue their way is the only way and everyone else is a fool? What's up with that?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Determining system accuracy - Goober58 10:36:23 11/16/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.