Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Measurement and Perception and the Value of Each (Long Post)

"2 channel stereo can only convey left to right and depth - PERIOD."

You can make ex-cathedral statements all you wish, but it won't change the situation. Perhaps you should look into the situation in more detail. There is lots of information in the reverberant field to show early reflections to a microphone array. The microphones may be in a horizontal line, but they receive sound from the instruments that is both direct and reflected. Typically, instruments will be fairly close to the stage floor and more distant than the ceiling, and this situation provides an asymmetry that produces different patterns to the microphones. Therefore, there is information that will disambiguate many spacial situations given suitable processing. It may not be possible to tell if the instruments are close to the stage or closer to the ceiling due to symmetry, but this won't be a problem if one adds a certain amount of common knowledge, something that the mind is capable of doing.

Of course stereo is a flawed process. That is not a justification for throwing it away. However, if you have some way to bring back to life dead musicians so they can be properly recorded with some new technology that will be less "flawed" then I will gladly applaud you.

"As to "computational horsepower going on in one's ears" - also WRONG!"

If you had decent reading skills and treated me with the respect that one should accord other inmates, you would have understood that I meant "between one's ears" when I wrote "inside one's ears." I should have thought that any air-breather would have understood what I meant.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Measurement and Perception and the Value of Each (Long Post) - Tony Lauck 06:57:43 11/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.