Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Oops

You wrote:
"It is basis for radio reception and detection. From this the idea of building very precisely made Zobel networks to help filter or attenuate these RF signals before they enter the loudspeaker, effectively producing high impedence to these frequencies at the load, helped in reducing these IM artifacts."

I have news for you, Zobel networks on a cable do NOT present a high impedance to the load. Your understanding of how Zobel networks work on a speaker cable is way off-base. Based on past claims of your understanding of science and physics, this throws your whole claim to scientific understanding and why you have reasons for disbelieving things out the window. Strike One

You wrote:
"First off you can take any dialectric and measure a 100 microvolt charge with a multimeter. However if you present a low imnpedence load to this same charge the voltage measured is only a few millivolts. That's a 1000 times smaller potential."

Wrong. dialectric is spelled dielectric. A few millivolts is an order of magnitude LARGER than 100 microvolts, put in terms of volts they would be the following:
3 millivolts = 0.003 volts
100 microvolts = 0.0001 volts.
Strike Two.

You wrote:
"Also triboelectricc charges are created only when a cable is flexed and moving and dissipate using the same time constants."

You seem to forget (as do most naysayers), that the cable is not just setting on a test bench, it is hooked up to a SOUND SYSTEM, with speakers filling the air in the room with VIBRATIONS, right next to the sound system cables. Kinda forgot about the real world there.

You wrote:
" (as a sidenote, there is much data proving that "biasing" has no effect on these discharge time constants, nor does it prevent the charges from occuring)"

1st, where is this data? I keep up with all things having to do with audio cabling, as it is a very keen interest on my part. However, I have never seen such data regarding this. Please provide references, citations, etc.

2nd, cable biasing is usually not claimed to reduce triboelectric effect, it is almost always claimed to reduce dielectric polar behavior. The fact that you don't seem to have a clue about this, is another very suspicious thing in someone who claims to be an expert in physics and audio. It looks like you guessed wrong.
Strike three.

With all of this, I find it difficult to take you very seriously when you speak about audio, especially when you are trying to analyze things "scientifically", and you really don't have a clue about the science of high-end audio.

I suggest sticking to writing grant proposals for your lab at school.

Jon Risch

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.