Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I believe

Mr villastrangiato is correct in an analysis of the recording signal. The totality of the information is there but the recording does not have a height delineation ( unless you use two mikes set at different heights).

However, he does not take into account some important considerations.

One is that the vast majority of speakers employ multiple drivers and generally the tweeters are located on the top of the column. This mimics the real life presentation in that the hall ambient sounds are usually high frequencies and come reflected off the walls and ceiling. The high frequencies in real life get absorbed by obstructions on the ground and this includes seats and the people in them.

Now even if you run coaxial or single driver full range systems, this phenomena still occurs. The highs arrive at the ear unobstructed giving the height details. That is why speaker height for single driver cone systems is quite critical. That is why on large, say electrostatic panels, the panels go quite high, six feet or more in order to center the image at a more realistic height presentation. Even the shorter panels like the Quads benefit from elevating the panels centered to about ear height.

Mr Villastrangiato sounds as if he has spent far too much time on an oscilloscope and measuring gear and has little experience with real life situations and set ups. Its a pity he harps on small electronic phase differences when a simple glance at Stereophile's impulse test results for speakers shows most having a horrendous response.

The sense of his priorities is severely skewed.

Stu

Edits: 11/12/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.