Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: That was not the point of the original post...

What is the point of the original post? He makes those claims at the end and they're really rather outlandish.

"1. Accuracy is cheaper."

False premise. First off, define accuracy. Second, the "value" of a component has more than objective quantities, it also has subjective qualities. You may not need a 1/2" thick machined aluminum front plate on a component, but if you do, it costs more than a folded piece of tin. Third, some more expensive components ARE more accurate. If you want to take a cheap low buck CD source and compare it to a DCS stack you're welcome to.

"2. Distortion (of facts, physics and sound) is expensive."

Overgeneralization. A cable that has inductive/capacitive components that do nothing more than to color sound might be distortion. But this statement alludes to the possibility that the more something costs the more distorted it is which cannot be further from the truth. I've heard some very pricey ($25K+) studio monitors and the quick, tuneful, immediate and engaging sound I heard was no accident and it was not what I would call "distorted" at all. That said, once you get into the whole concept of "voicing" a loudspeaker, you've already left science in the rear-view mirror. But there is more to sound that facts and physics and that's what staunch objectivists are missing. Enjoyment is a state of mind. You can take two twins with "perfect" measurements and facial structure (computers have calculated who is the most beautiful woman in the world based on her facial geometry). You can have two different men meet with these women, one who has a wonderful time with her and the other, who lacks self confidence, sweats and stumbles. What happened? Both had the same "perfect" woman. Ah well, perhaps there is more to a man enjoying the company of a woman than her physical specifications. Ridiculous comparison? I think not. Man's enjoyment of music (and art in general) is as much tied up in his own pysche and outlook as it is in the performance itself.

- I admit I dislike "fake physics" in advertising.

- I admit that I would never buy an audio component or device that only has a psychological effect. I can create these affects for free myself.

- I admit that better lighting and room aesthetics improve the listening experience.

- I admit that asymmetry in the room and other obsessive compulsive concerns drive me nuts.

What's the problem here? If you think a product is snake oil don't buy it. But if you plan to "convert" someone who believes they "hear a difference" then by all means go ahead. If this same person also believes that even a purely psychological improvement is worth the price of a tweak, then who is the fool? One who is happy to pay for a placebo? Or one who argues that this is foolish?

If my doctor charged me $10 for a sugar pill and it made my headaches go away, would I be outraged at paying $10 for a half gram of sugar? Or happy that my doctor used the power of my mind to cure me while giving me a "medication" with no detrimental side effects? If he kept giving me sugar pills after my headaches persisted and the cause was a growing brain tumor, yes, I would be rather p1ssed.

So why are you so worried about who buys snake oil anyways? Unless someone comes to me and asks "Do you think this is snake oil?" why would I worry?

Every day in advertising we're being sold a better mousetrap. A better tasting diet soda. A better car. Five-hour-energy drink "PROVEN" to work by a ZILLION doctors (quick read the fine print).

I find this worry to be a waste of resources.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.