Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Are we discussing test equipment or audio systems?

I am the OP. We are talking about using test equipment to get electronics to work properly. Some perople seem to think you do this by ear. You cannot know with any certainty if a loudspeaker is operating as designed unless you measure it with electronics.

People who judge stereo by using ears are missing an important thing. Accuracy. If a violin plays one note, it is recorded, then the playback system (as well as recording system) must pass the information as an electronic signal, not as music. Once this is done, the intergrity of that signal must be maintained through the subsequent stages of electronics. For this to happen the equipment must be tested by measuremnet of electronic signals for accuracy. You cannot do this by ear precisely enough. That is the basis of this discussion. If your manufacturers of this gear didn't have test equipment this stuff would sound like gak!

We are talking about electronics and electronic signals, NOT the interpretation, performance or creation of music. Stereo systems are not musical instruments. They do not create music. They are not used to generate music. They are not used by musicians. They are not the source of the music. They are not inherantly musical. They are electronics, that must perform accurately in the electronic realm and deal with signals, not music. And signal accuracy is quantifiable only through measurement and should not be determined by direct human senses & interpretation. This is what audiophiles, many of them, forget. It's a misinterpretation of realities.

Try this. :-) Wedge the speaker end of your speaker wire in your ear, turn the volume to maximum, and tell me what you hear? In addition to probably going deaf and feeling a strange electric shock, I know you will not hear music. But what you will perceive is the electrons charge flowing through a wire and now into your flesh. (Disclaimer: I'm being dramatic here, do not do this.) Now do this with an electric guitar that isn't plugged in. Just put the headstock on your temple. You will hear music. That's because it's an instruemnt. A stereo is not an instrument, its electronics.

Stereos do not make music. They store and recall electronically a close approximation of a performance of music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.