Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: whats Better dynamically better quality but smaller or large awg??

Alright, So some of you know of my experimental GM70 Amplifier breadbord

3 specific areas I changed wiring

RK cathode wiring

RC coupling wiring

LC coupling wiring (output cap to output transformer)

I did this, one area at a time, The wire I replaced is Mil spec teflon insulated wire like jeff uses but smaller 14 awg that i doubled up, The new wire is 21 awg doubled up but SOLID core! its a copper wire with direct 24K gold plating, Insulation is unbleached cotton shoestring like.

Dynamics:

Dynamically there is a slight edge to the SOLID CORE smaller wire

Intelligibility:

There is a good amount of difference here giving the edge again to the SOLID CORE, Its just simply clearer, more realistic with proper diction(less audible distortion!) of voices, This clearer information is what I believe also gives a sense of more dynamic contrasting, but NOT forced dynamic contrasting, its clearly more dynamic and tauter bottom end but with less distortion. IMO it sounds wonderful, every spot I have used it so far.

There is quite a bit of difference here that could be for the simple fact that the solid core wire is NOT teflon coated and put into an unbleached cotton shoestring cord its free to move about.

It also just could be that the gold plated wire is better then my Mil Spec wire that I have but its possible other Mil Spec wire could be better.

Lawrence

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.