Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: whats Better dynamically better quality but smaller or large awg??

Ok so back on topic I wanted to report a few other wires I rotated in and out of a very sensitive area, some of the better wires I used were copper core direct gold plated, then I have some smaller awg copper core silver plated then gold plated this was THE wire to beat and every time I put it back it was the clear winner. Next up was some very very old WE 12awg its really rare because I have not seen any anywhere!, Its tinned plated copper and when i removed the cotton/plastic insulation there was a bright tinned wire so i went ahead and installed this in that same coupling position...WOW this is a really great wire WE knew how to make quality wire, it was almost as wideband and as good as the copper/silver/gold wire and I may have just let it at that but since I have other wire to try it came out, so finally last but not least I have 18 year old pure solid core Silver 21awg I bought from a NY jeweler that came with an essay this was 4n pure silver, like all the other wire it went into unbleached cotton sleeve, my preconceived notion was it is going to be HOT sounding but actually it was somewhat muted I almost took it out right away, but I gave it an hour and it came full circle and and its THE BEST so far in this coupling pos most realistic and natural but I am slightly missing that beautiful glow that the copper/silver/gold wire has but it was a very slight glow.

"somewhat off topic" but I used this silver wire years ago when I bought it and it sucked big time,BUT......... it was in very old teflon tubing and that made the wire very very Bright sounding, not so in cotton!!!

More solid core and awg's to try later, I also wanted to say that I still believe that solid core wire is IMO better then stranded.

Lawrence

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.