Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

In my direct-coupled 45 amp....some observations

The direct couple run from the 7B4 to the 45 sounds more detailed with a single run of .22 gauge silver than it did with the same wire paralleled with two TCSS.

On the 45's filament going from three parallel TCSS to a single run of TCSS was an eye-opener, more pratt, detail, dynamics and strangely to me, better articulated bass. Same findings on the filament's center tap lead.

When I built the thing I replaced the stock B+ and plate leads on the Electraprint output transformers with three paralleled runs of TCSS.
And thinking I was on a roll based on the above findings, I snipped out two runs of the TCSS. OMG! Big mistake! Sound was flat, thin, anemic, and lacking in bass. What a bloody A pain that was to remove the transformers and put the three runs of TCSS back!

So: It's not so much the gauge and quality of the wire but where in the circuit the wire is.

On a side note: on the Electraprint website, Jack advised to NOT twist the high voltage secondary leads. Anyone care to comment on that?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.