Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: In my direct-coupled 45 amp....some observations

Hello Coronadope,

In 20-20 hindsight, its a shame you didn't just unsolder two of the three paralleled TCSS from the plate and B+ leads, going to the primary, and listen to that first. Oh well, I may have done the same. Do you use three TCSS on the OPT XFR's secondary ?? With the OPT XFR's step-down, that is a high current path, and it may be beneficial there.

TCSS is nicely made multi strand copper wire, I think in a teflon jacket. 19 AWG as I recall. Decent stuff. Its seven strands of 5N copper, three different gauges.

We have been playing with Mil Spec M22759/11 lately, and I just layed-in a supply of various AWGs to try out. If you would send me your address, I will be happy to send you some, just for me to find out what you hear !!

In the past two or so years, I have been routinely using DOUBLE 12 AWG of this Mil Spec wire ( copper multi-stranded, silver plated, teflon jacket ) into high current areas of my amp. As it turns out, I was WRONG to do so, ...so heavily. Although the double 12 AWG played with fuller dynamic contrasting, too much of this wire will lose the highs.

Under the advice of Mr. Dennis Fraker, I will be using less AWG in various spots, in all my future builds, in an effort to keep the lovely highs intact. I bought about 1,600 feet of various smaller gauges of the Mil Spec wire, two weeks ago. It will be incorporated in my upcoming build of JJ 2A3-40 mono amps. Again, Coronadope, happy to send some to you, need an address.

I will let someone else comment on twisting and not twisting...these IS an audible difference I have been specifically told, for several months now.

Best wishes,

Jeff Medwin

( Too heavily wired ( my first ) SET 45 amp, as of 04-2015, shown in photo. Since then, amp has been disassembled. )

Edits: 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/04/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.