Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Ignore the doubters!

Hello, Mikey and Dave.

I used to service nearly all W.E. stuff. I serviced Movie Theatres, and later bought and built theatres of my own, and also built stadium-type theatres for new owners.

W.E. gear I ran into a lot. At first, when servicing an older theatre, I would remove the W.E. model 91A amps, or some of their bogus attempts at making push-pull amps, remove the speakers and their drivers, give the junk away and replace the amps with McIntosh MC-60's (which I lightly modded), and the speakers with clean, sonically and directionally ACCURATE units such as ALTEC or JBL.

Later on, the Japanese went bonkers over historic W.E. gear, and we saved the old junk and sold it to them-- we sure didn't like to listen to it.. Interestingly, MGM pictures boycotted ALL W.E. gear in their theatres because it totally butchered the "live", accurate, sonic presence that MGM wanted for their theatres. I believe a Mr. Jim Lansing was hired to design something better, and he surely did!

The point of this is that I got better sound-- a lot better-- without the W.E. gear. Today, one can also get better sound by avoiding the misdesigned 300B tube, unless it is one that is made symmetrically with vertical filament structures by EML, etc.

Love you guys, keep up the good work!

---Dennis---

Edits: 10/08/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ignore the doubters! - tube wrangler 21:13:23 10/08/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.