Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

More thoughts on wire direction:

1) If copper wire has directionality, that would obviously include SPDIF, AES, even USB and Ethernet cables. Electrical signals are electrical signals after all. So is a cable carrying audio as encoded by binary voltages or PWM subject to audible direction effects?

2) I can tell you based on my career that major recording studios, MapleShade excluded, broadcast centers, mastering facilities, do not worry about wire direction. So an audio signal could have been through tens of not hundreds of random direction cables? Can the distortion caused by improper directionality be reversed at the end of the playback chain,i.e in your home system? Now keep in mind that audio is mostly in digital form either as discrete AES or even more so today, file based running over ethernet networks so question #1 plays into this.

3) If this new distortion model exists, it still must function under our laws of physics? The same laws that control RLC parameters. We all know the longer a cable gets, the higher the resistance and inductance gets, as well as the capacitance increases. Therefore it would stand to reason that directionality distortion would increase with distance as well. So while directionality may require very gifted hearing and clean amplification to hear with a six foot interconnect, even a cheap AV receiver should then be able to resolve the difference at 50 feet?

Or if this is diode effect, then is it a "once done" type of distortion>

Things to consider if you want to persue this research. And this is hardly an all inclusive list. Just a few things I though of in my hour commute to work today.

Edits: 10/06/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.