Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: My 3 years to the goal of the non-compromise SET and still learning..

Of course mq, I will answer your questions:

Q1. The wood pucks are made from spruce. They are sold in our local hardware stores as plugs for chipboard holes and they come in various sizes. They are the cheapest room tuning accessory around here.

Q2. The transformers you mention are the interstage and the output. They are wound by a colleague who is our national pride in signal transformer winding. He sacrificed years from his life, lots of copper wire in the thrash and lots of trial and error to get ultimate transformer performance and his stuff is really good. All of my audiophile DIYers order from him. The problem is, he is currently too busy right now to do private orders. The transformer are wound with an interleaved pattern I prefer not to go into details He also uses impregnated paper as dielectric between layers because it sounds the most natural and the bobbin wire is listened to to find out its direction before winding the transformer.

Q3. The green guy is a heater transformer. The green color is characteristic for russian military stuff. The transformer is totally impregnated with some kind of epoxy. It will be changed soon with a better transformer with split bobbins.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.