Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Education and growth

The only way I can think of to prove someone can hear directionality is a DBT. Yet you say those are not accurate for certain reasons I can agree with.

How about this person tries and teach us what to listen for? I saw one mention here where is might be the attack of instruments? Well a scope can measure that. And today we can capture that clip in a workstation at 192khz / 24bit and analyze all the harmonics at length. Hell, with some effort we could even capture at megasamples and 64 or more bits with custom hardware and software. Surely if there is a difference in the risetime it will be found in such an analysis.

But there again is where I see a problem. Any natural sound has to travel through our atmosphere to a microphone. The atmosphere alone sharply limits acoustic rise times. The microphone has a defined mechanical response limit. And certianly the electronic recording process has a dynamic range as well as noise floor limit. And last we come back to the mechanical speaker and once again our atmosphere between that and the ear.

So what ever risetime difference caused by wire direction will have to be larger in magnitude than all the limitations and distortions listed above.

Based on known physics, at least for me, that all seems rather implausible.

And this so called manufacturing mistake that led to an example of hearing wire directionality was just that. Hardly a controlled experiment. We have no documentation of the surroundings or other external factors that may have influenced the results.

Edits: 09/22/15 09/22/15 09/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.