Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Ignore the doubters!

"Big Science, modern physics works in a universe that is probabilistic and perspectival, whereas the EE lab is neither. It works on convenient fiction, a simplification that is good enough."

-Well sure, much of what is used was discovered empirically, nothing wrong with that, it avoids a lot of smoke! lol

"JUJU

I am saying that the "juju" might add something valuable to the important process of hands-one/ears-on experimentation, without in itself having much physical/physics grounding. Maybe it makes him feel good and inspires a deeper connection with what he is doing. I'm looking at the whole project and thinking...good work!"

-That is fine.

"WHY do people who never studied this material think they are natural-born experts in it? I can only think, "One doesn't know what they don't know."

This extends to understanding how "Science" as a logical system and human social enterprise works. Most audio forum science is pretty close to trash, not so much in the realm of electronics where high-school lab conceptions are reasonably useful, but when EEs and guys who learned electronics in the Navy start talking anthropology and human research, it gets pretty silly."

-I don't think you are giving some enough credit, after all you don't know what they don't know. ;)

"I am a Virgo and basically a nerdy analytical person. I sometimes wish I had more juju and mambo in the mix, but I go with experience, observations, and my naturally questioning attitude and trust in that."

-Now don't go dragging astrology into this Joe! lol.

"Hey, what are we doing on SET forum. SE amps should blow compared to low distortion SS an PP amps, right?"

-Not at all, I fully understand that all distortion is not created equal, nor is everything linear.
One doesn't have to look too hard, the first control on most stereos is the volume. Like a lot of things in audio, it is logarithmic.

In earlier times, yes I was naive, I thought 5 on the volume dial meant 50 percent power and that "low THD" amps couldn't possibly be the cause for bad sound.

Fortunately, I was able to learn this from others work in physics.
It was there the whole time, I just needed to be able to see it.

"How did we find out that they aren't so bad? Experimentation in the face of received wisdom."

-I get what you are saying...

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ignore the doubters! - Garg0yle 16:43:25 09/20/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.