Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Ignore the doubters!

cpotl,

These are my findings I've come to during all this time. I have come to the conclusion that every wire has its optimal direction as sound goes.

A bit of story from me:
When I first started with audio, I was one of the most skeptical persons in the national community. Back then, I thought only my speakers where worthy of attention. I was going to build some cheap gainclone amplifiers to drive them, naively thinking that I'll be in the audio ecstasy with a few hundred bucks sum.

Terms like "tuning by ear" ; "sound of a cable" ; "sound of capacitor" ; "terminals quality" sounded weird and incomprehensible to me. They all started to make sense little by little, when I went into my first DIY SET amplifier.
Sometimes the truth was painful, but I had to swallow it. I remember how blown away I was from the sound difference of speaker cables and RCA cables. Then came the power cables where I was the most skeptical of. Then came the plugs and IECS. Direction of capacitors. Oh.. memories.
I was lucky for having the opportunity to try and listen to accessories before buying them, thanks to friends from our community. One of the reasons I achieved much with little money.

This was a long road and I'm sure a night of typing won't be enough to tell it all.

What I know for sure if I stayed the same skeptical person as I was 3 years ago, I wouldn't had built this system and posted here in this forum.
Maybe I would be the guy building cheap gainclones and posting oscilloscope takes at diyaudio.com

For me, the direction of cable is already a normal thing and I never doubt it. I came from a long way of swapping cables to do so.

Together I and other people had done blind tests. A colleague of mine was turning a wire and he was the only one knowing its direction. We listened and guessed a few times. The difference in a good hi-end system was so obvious that we all came to the same conclusion and since them, blind tests were useless for me. Later, I also did blind testing on other people with unshielded RCA cable direction without telling them what I did, only asking them what they hear and what they prefer. The most of them were women. All of their answers matched and to my surprise, they described the differences in greater details than me.

In the end, you don't have to agree with me and close this page if you consider it as BS. If you are skeptical, but curious, the easiest way I can offer you is to try it for yourself. Garg0le claimed he will be doing it.

I am sure these phenomenons will be explained one day through science.

Edits: 09/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.