Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

My charmed existence

Academic jobs suck nowadays.

I was in a second PhD program a few years ago and saw graduates taking adjunct jobs paying $2200 a class teaching Anthro 101 and putting 50k miles a year on their cars chasing crumbs at different universities. I am too old and lazy for that.

My classmates from the Anthro PhD program at Yale in the 80s all have major professorial gigs now, those who stuck out the hard times, but I chose to become an audio publisher instead.

Yeah, maybe I was a fool but I had an excellent ride and still enjoy it.

I have the best job in the world, I think. Friends all over the planet. A great life.

The company I am associated with has an unlimited budget and values research and public education over sales. A very idealistic operation.

You have no idea how privileged my position is. I go places you can't imagine...like I consulted with Samsung on speakers at their Advanced Multimedia Lab in Suwon, Korea a few months ago. You're a video guy, Gusser. Did they send a limo around to the Ritz-Carlton to pick you up for a consult?

Thanks to my unorthodox life, I was able to take my kid to school and pick him up every day when he was little. I saw my dad a few times a week at that age, because he worked night work. That alone was a major life benefit.

And I was able to pursue many years of extra graduate education that someone tied to the millstone in a corporate job couldn't easily pull off. That's how I learned subjects that would be total luxury for a working stiff in EE.

But just because I'm an audio bum, don't fully discount my knowledge in my "other" field. Actually, for me they are all one field.

This educational outreach on forums is all pro-bono work. Frankly, it is as painful for me as it is for you!

However, I am simply trying to contribute to the growth of understanding and beat down Babylon where necessary.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.