Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Drawing the line

Pierre called Dave and said he thinks Dave labeled one of the wires wrong. In other words, he got caught.

Indeed I was caught but the comment was that the "spool" from the reversed wire must have gone through an extra de-reeling procedure.

I do know that pierre and ron (bauman) have a series of very specific test tracks they use to listen for direction and iirc the differences they hear is all in the attack of the notes. Sure some will argue that a real engineer should be able to measure this and it is important to note that both Pierre and Ron are top level real engineers.

I have another friend Johannes who could nail the relative phase of a SE amp to a speaker. This doesn't have anything to do with absolute phase but rather the idea that air is harder to compress than it is to rarify which sets up a situation to create an even order distortion. When you combine this even order distortion generator with another (a SE tube output stage) suddenly you get very different distortion spectra based on phase. Johannes would simply instruct me to listen to the bass and it was easy to hear. I admit I heard differences but in no way could I ever nail it like Johannes could.

(important thing to note for all you absolute phase junkies is simply swappping speaker cables polarity is not a fair way to reverse phase)

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.