Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I still haven't heard a satisfactory explanation:

You're a funny guy, Tony. Why just last Saturday, I hosted an event for 11 audio enthusiasts entitled, "Building on the Right Foundation - Part 4 - Redbook CD - Perfect Sound Forever?"

Based on the posted feedback from that event, I'd venture that I was able to successfully demonstrate:

1. That the Redbook CD format had been unduly beaten to a pulp for at least the past 10 years.

2. That the Redbook CD format contains volumes more audible music information embedded within than anybody previously thought possible.

3. That whether or not the early promoters and pioneers knew it, the Redbook format was and is wholly sufficient for the entire music industry, including the "high-end" audio sector.

4. That the format (at least Redbook) has nothing whatsover to do with the serious performance limitations found in essentially every last playback system.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I demonstrated all this:

1. On a 2-component, 2-ch. playback system and a pair of VMPS RM40 speakers.

2. With the 2 components retailing for under $4000.

3. Included songs from artists like Dianna Ross and the Supremes, Lou Reed and record labels like Windham Hill. Regrettably, time did not permit me to play songs from The Tokens, Frank Sinatra, Herman's Hermits, or The Associations.

Nowhere did I claim that Redbook CD format was perfect as that's a bit of a reach for anything. But what I did claim and hopefully demonstrated was that unbeknownest to the early promoters (and obviously many of you), the Redbook CD format was and is more than than musically sufficient for even the high-end audio industry and that, contrary to conventional wisdom, their slogan actually contained very little hype after all.

The point being, Tony, is that you are incorrect in your statements about Redbook CD format being substandard.

What you (and others) are really confessing to when making such statements is that, regardless of format, it is your own playback system's level of musicality that is grossly substandard. Simply because your system is so distorted that much of the music info embedded in the recording (regardless of format), though processed, remains inaudible below a much raised noise floor.

Edits: 12/14/14 12/14/14 12/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.