Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: DBT or not DBT

The biggest probem with the MBTI is that so many people are already aware of the types or dichotomies before taking the instrument, and it's relatively easy to bias your answers towards the outcome you expect or want, even if you're not consciously trying to. For that reason, the instrument is only really valid the first time it is administered to an individual, and only if the individual doesn't have prior knowledge of the types. When administered more than once, the result frequently changes to align with the individual's preferred type. Also, I know there are some counselors who are trying to make use of it without having to administer the survey instrument by asking people to self rate, which guarantees you will get whatever type they prefer rather than the 'true' type as measured without expectation bias.

As part of a undergraduate project, I used to administer the MBTI to high school students along with other several other measures as part of a study of how learning styles & preferences correlate to standardized testing outcomes. We had a total survey size of >1000, so I talked to A LOT of students about their results and it was typical for their outcome to be different than the type they self-identified with. We did find some really interesting correlations between the MBTI results and learning styles, creativity measures, academic test results, and even socio-economic backgrounds. So I don't think the MBTI is meaningless. But I suspect it is not very useful for career counseling or career development. And it could be prone to misuse by corporate managers if they start thinking of some types as good and others as bad.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DBT or not DBT - Dave_K 14:14:22 12/05/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.