Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Nobody In Audio Does True DBT ..........

DBT of course means "double-blind test".... But nobody in audio, in my recollections, has conducted a true placebo-controlled double-blind study..... Where one group of people evaluates a test audio product, and second group of people evaluates a "placebo" audio product. (The placebo might be, for example, an existing product made to look like the new evaluation product.) And the evaluation results of the test product are ultimately compared to those of the placebo. Real DBTs do not have the test subjects comparing anything. In audio, listeners would be evaluating just one item, which they don't even realize might be a placebo. (The "blind" in the double blind study has nothing to do with whether the test subjects can or cannot see the item under evaluation. It implies that the subjects have no idea they might be evaluating a placebo. The test subjects don't even realize they're participating in a double-blind study. They only know that they're just evaluating a product.)

What people call "DBT" in audio is usually an ABX test, which listeners try to determine whether "X" is "A" or "B". But when applied properly, the issue isn't whether the listener is capable of guessing the correct item (which seems to be the focus of some "advocates"), the issue is whether or not any difference presented is discernible. ABX's true value is giving a consumer confidence in knowing whether or not a prospective product is worthwhile in attaining.

Edits: 12/03/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.