Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: BTW

"All amplifiers are audibly flawed in one way or another."

Ah! At last a positive statement. I am sure that under some conditions one could find some audible flaws in many amplifiers, but are they the conditions under which audiophiles and reviewers actually listen to music?

I notice in your remarks about "measured results of combined feedback loop content" you neglect to provide any references or anything to show this problem exists in ABX comparators. I recall that there was a dicussion about this years ago but I have no time to try to find it. I did find someone, moniker Alón, who had talked to Frank van Alstine about the ABX comparator.

"In my conversations with Frank Van Alstine about the ABX box, he assured me that the “added component in the signal path” issue was addressed in the design of the ABX Comparator – and that sonically, it was completely transparent in their in-house listening tests."

http://sanfranciscoaudiophilesociety.com/abx-comparator-event/

In his 2005 debate with John Atkinson, Arny Krueger said something to the effect that if they set up a string of good amplifiers, damping down the output to feed the inputs of the successive amplifiers, after four or five steps, there were audible differences. You could find a link to the an MP3 file of the debate in Jacob Victor Serinus article on it.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

As I have pointed out that there is no reason believe that reviewers can actually detect all the differences in equipment they say they can. I have focused on amplifiers. There is an ambiguity in English here. Just because I do not believe you, other audiophiles, and many reviewers can detect many of the differences you say you do, does not mean that I believe you can not hear those difference. Technically, I am agnostic on that issue. You can call that hand waving, if you wish, but I think it is based on a misunderstanding. It is quite obvious to me that many here just feel insulted that sometimes I don't believe them.
-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BTW - Pat D 10:56:17 12/10/14 (1)
    • RE: BTW - E-Stat 10:58:46 12/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.