Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

DBT or not DBT

So we have yet another round in the DBT debate. I kind of sit on the fence on the whole thing and laugh at how self proclaimed subjectivists collectively shred anyone that dares to state that they are an objectivist. So what. The reality is that anyone that considers themselves an audiophile ultimately makes future sound decisions based on long term listening to their previous purchases. If they really were deep down "objectivists" according to how the slur as it is used, why would they still be shopping, reading the rags, or posting here if they bought one rig and have no intention of ever making any changes as it supposedly measures perfectly? We audio dweebs are all foolishly on the roundy round of buying this and that, and swapping yet again. And I suspect that it isn't because of better specs. Some here may make value judgements of how much is enough, be it a 500 dollar sand integrated vs a snooty 15 watt unobtanium Japanese tube integrated; a lowly 500 dollar CD player (oh no 16/44.1, heaven forbid!) vs a turntable with a 5 K VandenHul at the end of the tonearm. At audio shows of Edison's wares there were claims of perfection, and live public demonstrations proved it. Or seemed to. Talk about snake oil how those demos were done. Maybe someone should remind us of those false claims in vinyl's infancy. It'll never happen because that is currently the big push to keep the industry afloat. Who knows, when turntable sales taper off maybe room correction will be the next big thing. We really do need to get those unsightly room tunes out of the Mrs' living room.

Anyhow, it's supposed to be about the enjoyment of the music, isn't it? Last year at a show I heard Ella on an all Audio Note rig. Absolutely gorgeous. The best I have ever heard, or likely will ever hear. Would the guy play anything else on it that people asked for. Nope. As much as I love Ella, sometimes I just might want to hear Kurt Cobain live.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - DBT or not DBT - Ozzie 19:07:52 12/02/14 (150)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.