Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I still haven't heard a satisfactory explanation:

Do you expect what John hears to change after another DBT produces a null result? How is that supposed to happen?

Similarly, if you don't hear a difference between CD and hi-res, do you expect that to change if somebody else gets a positive result in a DBT? How would that happen?

So what exactly is the point of doing all these DBTs to prove or disprove the audibility of things? I can understand Harman's use of blind testing to try to understand listener preferences regarding loudspeaker response. I can even somewhat understand how DBTs helped codec developers figure out how to optimize the use of limited bitrate. But I don't understand the point of conducting DBTs in the hope of proving or disproving the audibility of things like cables or hi-res digital. What do you get out of that besides fodder for more internet arguments?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I still haven't heard a satisfactory explanation: - Dave_K 14:37:31 12/05/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.