Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: BTW

Ah! At last a positive statement.

That's been my observation for over forty years. Positive in what way?

I am sure that under some conditions one could find some audible flaws in many amplifiers, but are they the conditions under which audiophiles and reviewers actually listen to music?

It's called "playing the system with familiar content", Pat. I've yet to experience a perfect amplifier. Have you?

I recall that there was a dicussion about this years ago but I have no time to try to find it.

Yes, apparently you don't remember discussing this four years ago. FVA tested a box in the 2006 timeframe. All Tom offered in response was theory and speculation.

I did find someone, moniker Alón, who had talked to Frank van Alstine about the ABX comparator.

Fast forward eight years later to a newly designed comparator that unlike the switch and relay boxes used by Gow, Clark, Krueger, Meyer and Moron, etc., this is an active box that buffers the connections and apparently eliminates the overt signal mixing of the original boxes.

It will be interesting to see what comes of that comparator. While your link to his blog requested amps to be tested, I couldn't find anywhere on that site that any tests had actually be conducted. If and when results using that new box is ever published, it should be interesting to view their system and amp choices.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BTW - E-Stat 10:58:46 12/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.