Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: For Clarification

I thought of going into the vagaries of it, but figured I'd be here till midnight. I suppose you could establish a baseline is with a measurement mic or speakers for which you have measurements. You can then EQ them flat and use that as a baseline. Not perfect, but it doesn't have to be. I didn't even do that. I bought a BSR equalizer when I was a kid and had a pair of AR-11's. Fooling with it taught me what the frequency bands do, and it was easy enough to hear when it was right because there was lots of live music in the house at the time.

Later, in the studio, I had opportunities to measure speakers with RTA's, play with 1/3-octave calibrated monitors, and fool with various kinds of EQ, but I think most of it was what I learned as a kid, from fooling with that BSR. A friend of mine had one too and he got better at it than I was, he could have rented himself out as a spectrum analyzer.

There's a graphic EQ app in Foobar, but it isn't very good -- not enough resolution and there's a long delay after you move the faders before you hear the change. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I've never looked. If you find one, I'd be curious to know.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: For Clarification - josh358 17:46:26 05/16/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.