Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: It is also inherent in the panel shape

The lower the resonant frequency, the higher the Q. A high Q resonance at a low frequency will limit the SPL, the diaphragm cannot move very much before hitting the magnets. Nearfield measurement will show the low frequency behaviour. My own Tympani Bass Speakers (the woofer section of the Tympani IIIA) showed a peak of about 12 dB somewhere between 30 and 40 Hz. Such a peak will force the diaphragm to move a lot! The tension of the diaphragm acts as a "soft limiter", there will be some degree of non-linearity due to this. There use to be a level dependent frequency response. Larger movements will be restricted by the tension of the diaphragm, the resonant frequency increases and the Q decreases. The diaphragm of the Apogee is not elastic as it is the Magneplanar type of driver, therefore the use of springs to tension and suspend the diaphragm. Without the suspension from the springs, only very small movements of the diaphragm can take place. The Apogge bass drivers can make greater excursions than the Magneplanar drivers. It also means that a Magnepan need larger diaphragms in order to move the same amount of air.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.