Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

Well Lew a couple of points: The Lamms have the ability adjust for lower impedances. THey have a switch that I believe adjusts the power supply so that when you select the low impedance mode it lowers the power supply voltage and increases the available current. What the amp delivers into 1 ohm is I imagine substantially more than 110 Watts but of course not all of it would be Class A then.

The other important point is about sensitivity. The normal sensitivity rating for this speaker is referenced to the typcial 8 ohms. As it is clearly not an 8 ohm speaker the sub 80db sensitivity is really mid 80s db for 1 ohm. So, assuming the amp can supply the current then it will play quite loudly with 100 watts of power. My guess is that we never pushed beyond 30 watts or so in our listening, which is enough to still get quite loud.

My friend of course checked with Lamm about the suitability of driving 1 ohm before purchasing the amps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.