Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

"teenagers are the only ones on the planet" ...

who can hear to 20KHz.

They may well be ... but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't hear the difference when we have ribbons that are said to have a -3dB point of 40KHz vs. tweeters which roll off much earlier. The reason being ... the roll-offs are not "brick walls" - they have an effect over (frequency) decades.

Case in point: I have been trying to build a good phono stage since mid-2009, when I was given the circuit by a mate who said "Wow! This is the best phono stage I have ever heard". Of course, with other people's recommendations, one never knows what they are comparing against ... but, as I had been wanting to get a phono stage that was better than the one which had been my mainstay for 6 or 7 years, I was intrigued enough to build it.

When I listened to it, it sounded promising ... but when I measured its frequency response, I found it was severely rolled off, top and bottom (compared to the RIAA standard). So I embarked on a 2-year odyssey to improve it! :-))

v1 was completed about this time last year and was judged to have a slightly rolled-off top end, compared to my phono stage and an Allnic 1500. IE. there was a lack of "top end air", compared to these two.

A mate who suggested a slightly different circuit layout which he said would improve performance, simulated the circuit in pSpice ... and identified a particular cap which he said was causing a roll-off at 120KHz (ie. 120KHz was the upper -3dB frequency).

In the subsequent rebuild (with a slightly different circuit layout), I was able to remove this cap - and, lo and behold - v3 has the more extended top end that I was looking for! :-))

In other words, the people who have listened to both circuits have been able to hear the difference between a phono stage which "rolls off" at 120KHz, and another which doesn't. That's 120 Kilo hertz - not just 20KHz!

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "teenagers are the only ones on the planet" ... - andyr 16:19:58 05/15/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.