Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

Sounds like the Scintillas are the 1-ohm version. (I read that there was a 4-ohm version, as well, for a brief time.) This makes it all the more remarkable that the combination of the Lamm ML1.1 and the Scintilla works as well as you say. (I certainly don't doubt your word that the combination sounds great.) However, and with all due respect, the explanations you give (power supply switch, etc) just don't cut the mustard. The amps were measured either by Lamm or by one of the magazines to have an output impedance of about 1 ohm. This is a product mostly of the plate resistance of the output tubes and the turns ratio of the output transformers; the power supply could be an source of infinite current, and it would make no difference, because the current available at the amplifier output can be no more than what the 6C33Cs can tolerate at max dissipation (about 1-2 amps per tube, briefly) also in combination with the output transformer effect. The speaker has a nominal input impedance of 1 ohm. This is not a recipe for audio happiness, but the real world results show that numbers do not tell the whole story, I guess.

I love my Silvaweld SWH550 phono stage that you were kind enough to recommend. So thanks for that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.