Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

I'm a bit confused about the compression article. As far as I know, neither the current Maggies nor the planar part of the Eminents should be more susceptible to thermal compression than the Apogees. It's a matter of conductor surface area, really, and efficiency. Roughly similar insofar as they use similar technology. Then he says that the Calipers exhibit dynamic compression above 100 dB. As do Maggies. So, as I said, I'm a bit confused, they all compress dynamics, with larger planars of course having more headroom. I do agree with his assessment of the subjective importance of good peak level handling, an area in which audiophile speakers typically fall flat on their faces compared to their pro equivalents (just about the only area, though).

I'm not very familiar with the sound of true ribbon mids, but if they do for the mids what the true ribbon tweeters do for the highs, they would certainly sound better. As I think the article points out, the fundamental resonance can be kept below their frequency range. The magnetic field is also more linear as a function of displacement. They can also be driven over more of their surface, all of it in the case of an all-aluminum ribbon. But they have some technical disadvantages as well. The Apogee ribbons are more massive than the Magnepan ribbons, and in their two-way models much wider as well. And they're susceptible to torsion at high levels, and to failure from fatigue, apparently one of the things that drove Apogee out of business.

I've heard a couple of complaints that the Apogees have one-note bass, most recently in this thread. You can see it here in the Duetta Signatures, in Figure 4:

http://www.apogeespeakers.com/reviews/duetta_sig_hifinews_dec1988.htm

I've never heard dynamic bass that has the definition of planar bass. Not saying that it isn't possible, with, for example, a dynamic dipole design. But in practice, I haven't heard it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.