Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: For Clarification

As Wendell would say, you can only design a woofer for an average room, a smaller room is going to have more and rougher bass and a larger one less and smoother, and of course the modal frequencies are going to vary as well. So it makes sense to me that a speaker that's bass heavy in a small room could be more neutral in a large one. I don't think a lare room would smooth out the bass, though. This is not just a room artifact, it's an underdamped fundamental resonance. Without Magnepan's partitioning patents I don't see how they could have controlled it while maintaining good extension and compensating for dipole cancellation, which requires an underdamped alignment.

What you say about the midrange corresponds with what you and others have said in the past. Goes into a bit more detail, actually. Doesn't surprise me given the difference between true and quasi-ribbon tweeters, waterfalls, stats, JV's comparison between the 20.7 and CLX, etc. It basically comes down to how steep the falloff is in the waterfall.

You can of course get higher SPL's out of the larger Maggies and Apogees, and deeper bass. Judging by the listening level thread, the 3.7's SPL capability won't be an issue for most. I thought its bass was superb, by the way. Wendell says that quasi ribbon makes less of a difference on the woofers but I heard a new assurance in it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: For Clarification - josh358 19:46:37 05/16/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.