Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

The speaker in question was a completely rebuilt pair of Apogee Scintillas. Several things were done to improve this speaker over the original Scintilla:

All new ribbons were installed supplied by Graz in Australia
All new crossover components were used (same circuit though)
Completely rebuilt and reinforced frame that also was extended to put the ribbons further off the floor and thus allowing the speaker to be placed vertically (the original was not so tall and tilted backwards).

The system:

Olive music server
Resolution Audio Cantata CD/DAC
Silvaweld SWC-1000R preamp
Lamm M1.1 monoblocks

The sound was one of the best I have heard from a planar speaker. Very good soundstage and tonal accuracy. True deep bass from a planar without needing a subwoofer. Low level and microdynamics on par with the better electrostatic speakers I have owned/heard (the STAX ELS-F81 is better at this but it is better at this than just about every other speaker on the planet). Macrodynamics had real punch as did the bass. This same friend also has the Studio Grand and while it is good, the Scintilla is much better, although to be fair the Studio Grand without the subs hooked up has smaller panels (he doesn't use the subs because they don't integrate very well).

Compared to the Maggie 3.7 I heard recently, this thing is the real deal and the Maggie sounds a bit like a toy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday - morricab 02:36:26 05/07/12 (101)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.