Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

In the words of the late, great Gilda Radnor, as "Emily Latella" on SNL, "Never mind."
Yes, I thought you were talking about the all-tube Lamm product.

The Silvaweld phono and linestages are very different from the Allnic ones in many ways, except his taste in chassis design and build quality (high) seems not to have changed. As you know, there are no transformers in the signal path of the Silvaweld products, whereas the Allnics depend to a great extent on transformers everywhere you look. Further, the Silvaweld phono stages use RC networks for RIAA, where the Allnics famously use LCR equalization. This suggests to me that either Mr Park has changed his mind in very basic ways about good design or that he is working with others. My unit does not even use a SUT for LOMC gain; it seems to use a JFET which then drives the first tube in the MM phono section. (I have only used it for MM and MI high-ish output cartridges, so have not tried the MC inputs.) The Silvaweld is plugged into a hi-level input on my Atma-sphere MP1. I use the MP1 phono section for LOMCs cartridges. When you say the 650 is "single-ended", I am not sure what you mean, because my 550 is also single-ended, i.e., not balanced topology. The 550 has outboard PS containing power transformer, tube rectifier, inductor, capacitors. On the main chassis, we have filament supply rectification and regulation, and current and voltage regulators for the high voltage supply, duplicated for each channel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.